nogales

Baby dies after being strangled by cord from window blind

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:09 am | Updated: 4:41 pm, Fri Sep 28, 2012.

Emergency personnel were unable to revive a 14-month-old Rio Rico boy who apparently strangled himself with a cord to a venetian blind.

Sheriff Antonio Estrada said the baby, Angel Gabriel Alcantara, was in his crib by a window when he accidentally became entangled in the cord.

He said the mother called 911 at about 3:40 p.m. on Monday to report her baby was unresponsive and that the cord was wrapped around his neck. She told officers that the boy had been crying and then stopped, which is when she went to check on him.

Deputies responded “immediately and began CPR until personnel from the Tubac and Rio Rico Fire Districts arrived,” Estrada said.

The boy was airlifted to University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. “We do not suspect foul play,” said the sheriff, adding that an investigation is still underway.

“It appears to be a tragic and very sad accident,” he said.

According to information provided by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, since 1990, more than 200 infants and young children have died from accidentally strangling in window covering cords.