Local artists collected prizes in a number of media during the opening reception for the annual “Prizes of May Exhibit” on May 5 at Hilltop Gallery.
Nogales artist and teacher James Peters judged the exhibit, which includes the work of 30 artists in painting and drawing, sculpture/dimensional works and photography.
“The variety and quality of the art is outstanding. There are many talented artists in our area,” he said.
Painting and drawing
• First place: Karen Bell-Zinn, “Struggle,” pencil drawing.
• Second place: Virginia Carroll, “Love for Three Oranges,” colored pencil drawing.
• Third place: Luis Preciado, “Triple Crown,” tryptic oil painting.
• First place: Michael Mock, “Spirit Tree.”
• Second place: Tom Daniel, “Tumacacori.”
• Third place: Daniel Grambs, Jr., “Drifters.”
• First place: Myra De Palma, “Ganesha,” reconstructed chair.
• Second place: Nanette Miranda, wall piece of handmade paper and wire.
• Third place: Sarah Cobb, Hawaiian fabric quilt.
Judges Choice Award
• Karla Osete, “Sounds of the Blue Trumpet,” painting.
• First place: Encoh Spiro, “Becky’s Tea Pot,” charcoal drawing.
• Second place: Jacquline Larson, “Stress Reliever,” acrylic paining.
• Third place: Nicole Rios, “Mongolian Culture,” pencil drawing.
The exhibit will remain on display through the end of the month. Hilltop Gallery, located at 730 Hilltop Drive in Nogales, is open 12:30-4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday.