Two high school students were arrested and booked into the Santa Cruz County Juvenile Detention Center during the last week of classes after they allegedly made a threat against their school.
On the morning of Tuesday, May 21, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office received a call from the Rio Rico High School principal reporting that two students were overheard planning to do a school shooting.
“We immediately began investigating the incident and as a result, we did develop probable cause, collected evidence and arrested two juvenile students,” said Sheriff’s Sgt. Santiago Gonzales.
The students, ages 16 and 17, were booked into juvenile detention that same day. Since then, one teenager has been released and the other remains in custody, Gonzales said.
“Both of the students were charged with one count of making a terrorist threat,” he said, adding that the investigative report has been sent to the County Attorney’s Office for further review.
The Santa Cruz Valley Unified School District posted an advisory to its Facebook page on May 21, the day of the incident, stating that the two students had been removed from campus and that the Sheriff’s Office determined that there were no additional threats or dangers to students.
"We want to reassure everyone that we take all such threats seriously, and will investigate all tips to the fullest extent needed," the message read. "Our goal is to promote a culture where everyone has a responsibility to be vigilant and focused on safety."