A recreational vehicle burned to the ground in Patagonia on Sunday.

“They called and told us the RV in Space 13 was on fire,” said Mike Shoemaker, owner of the Patagonia RV Park at 566 Harshaw Road.

Shoemaker, who was with his wife in Nogales doing some Thanksgiving shopping, said by the time he got back, the diesel pusher RV “was totaled.”

Shoemaker said he has since learned the fire, which was called in at approximately 5 p.m., was likely caused by a propane gas leak behind the refrigerator. He said no one was hurt and the owners of the RV had just checked in.

“People all the way on the west side (of the RV park) said they could feel the heat from it,” Shoemaker said.

Firefighters from Patagonia Volunteer Fire and Rescue responded and put out the blaze, which melted more than three-quarters of the Neptune XL, made largely of plastic, but didn’t seem to affect the diesel engine in the back. The space was unaffected other than a melted meter.

“It’s too bad,” said Shoemaker, who estimated the RV to be worth somewhere between $80,000 and $100,000. He said the insurance company had made plans to haul it out.

“They’re going to need a front-end loader or something,” he said.

Shoemaker said the last fire at the RV park was approximately 15 years ago.

Load comments